Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are best eaten hot.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup cold low-fat buttermilk or 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a larger bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add applesauce and cut in with a pastry blender until it is like a course meal.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup cold milk over mixture and stir in quickly with a fork.
- Add enough milk until dough is slightly sticky.
- Gather the dough up into a ball, sprinkle with flour& roll out 1/2 inch thick on a floured board.
- Cut out small rounds (about 2 1/2" to 3" in diameter) and place them on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until browned on top.
I tried these yesterday, using skim milk since I didn't have buttermilk. I wasn't very impressed with them. I realize that no fat biscuits will never have the flavour or texture of regular biscuits, so I wasn't expecting that, but I did hope they would be better than they were. They were certainly acceptable (especially when dunked in stew) but I don't think I'll make them again. Sorry Barbara -- but thanks for posting the recipe ayway!
I just finishing making this recipe. I used vanilla soy milk instead of butter milk. I put 2 tablespoon of honey. The flour I used was 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup unbleached white flour I also used 1/2 cup prunes and apple sauce ( puree baby food pack) . This was the best NO FAT biscuits I ever had. They came out very soft. I have made other different recipe. The sodium is a bit high. for one biscuits I think its the baking powder.