Prep 50 mins
Cook 40 mins
I modified this recipe from one my mum gave me a few years ago when I was just learning how to bake for myself... the original called for 2 tbsp of shortening, but I replaced it with 2 tbsp of unsweetened applesauce. I actually think that the texture of my bread is better than the original's. If you want to change it up, pretty much anything can be added to this basic recipe - 1/2 a cup of raisins and 2 tsp cinnamon; various pinches of herbs; 1/2 a cup of cubed cheese; etc.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast (or 1 packet)
- 1 1⁄4 cups very warm water
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- Grease loafpan.
- Mix 2 c flour, the sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Add water, applesauce, and any additives (raisins, cheese, herbs, etc).
- Beat with electric mixer until smooth, scraping sides of bowl frequently.
- Stir in remaining 1 c flour until smooth.
- Spread batter into pan (will be sticky) and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for ~40 minutes or until double.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Bake 40 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove immediately from pan and place on wire rack. Brush top with butter if so desired.