I found this while buying a cookie cutter for DH's B-day. The claim is that these cookies won't spread during baking, so it is perfect for intricate cookie cutters. Make sure you preheat the oven for at least 30 minutes.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix dry ingredients and add to butter mixture.
- Mix well.
- Chill for 1 to 2 hours or see HINT below.
- Roll to desired thickness and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake on an ungreased baking sheet at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until just beginning to turn brown around the edges.
- HINT: Rolling out dough without the mess-rather than wait for the dough to chill, take freshly made dough and place a glob between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Roll it out to the desired thickness then place the dough with paper on a cookie sheet and pop it in the refrigerator.
- Continue rolling dough between paper until you have used it all.
- By the time you finish preparing the dough, the first batch will be chilled and ready to cut.
- Reroll left over dough and repeat the process.
- An added bonus is that you aren't adding any more flour to the cookies by rolling them out the old fashioned way.