Recipe by Dib's
A good basic pie crust.
Top Review by Deanna Walker
This was so easy to make and it came out wonderful. The pie crust was flaky and buttery. My husband really loved it. My favorite part is having extra to freeze! When it's this easy, who needs to buy ready made crusts for 5 times the money? Thanks!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place flour, sugar and salt in a medium/large bowl.
- Add the shortening and"cut" in until the mixture is crumbly and there are no big lumps of fat. Use forks, two knives or a pastry cutter; pea size crumbs please.
- In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, egg and ice water.
- Slowly add to flour mixture with a fork just until all ingredients are coming together and begin to form a ball. At this point I press together to make sure dough is holding together.
- Divide dough into fourths.
- Wrap each one in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or freeze for up to 6 months.