1/4 Photos of No-Fail Pie Crust
1 hr 5 mins
echo echo's Note:
I found this recipe in a woman's magazine back in the seventies and have used it ever since. It has never failed ME, at any rate. No matter how much this dough is handled it is always flaky and tender even if scraps need to be re-rolled. Be sure to use exact measures, levelling off with a knife. Dough can be left in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It remains soft and can be taken out and rolled at once, or it can be frozen until ready to use (thaw until soft enough to roll). For a filled pie, bake at temperature indicated in recipe you are using. For unfilled pie, bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit as directed below. Note that it is suggested you bake a filled pie versus a pie shell on different racks of the oven. The recipe makes five 9-inch pie shells or one shell plus two 2-crust pies. Preparation time includes minimum chilling time of 1/2 hour. Cooking time is for unfilled pie crust only.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt with a fork.
- 2Cut in the shortening with a fork until crumbly.
- 3In a small bowl, beat together the water, vinegar and egg; add to the flour mixture.
- 4Stir until all ingredients are moistened.
- 5Divide dough into 5 portions and, with hands, shape each into a flat round patty ready for rolling.
- 6Wrap each patty in plastic or waxed paper and chill at least 1/2 hour.
- 7When you are ready to use the pie crust, lightly flour both sides of the patty and roll out on a lightly floured board or pastry cloth.
- 8Keeping the pastry round, roll, from the center, to a 1/8-inch thickness into a circle 2 inches larger than the top of the pie pan.
- 9Fold in halves or quarters, transfer to the pie pan, unfold and fit in loosely.
- 10Press with fingers to remove air pockets.
- 11Fill the crust.
- 12Place the other crust on top; flute edges with a fork and place decorative slits in top of crust to allow steam to escape.
- 13Bake as directed in the pie recipe you are following.
- 14Bake pie on the LOWEST rack in oven to prevent bottom crust becoming soggy.
- 15FOR A PRE-BAKED UNFILLED PIE SHELL:.
- 16Prick the bottom and sides of a pastry lined pie pan with a fork.
- 17Bake on the CENTER rack in a preheated 450 degree Fahrenheit oven 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown (a metal pan will take longer than glass).
- 18Cool on a wire rack (the shell will shrink and edges pull away from pan).
- 19Fill as desired.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No-Fail Pie Crust
Serving Size: 1 (1067 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1022.9
- Calories from Fat 663
- Total Fat 73.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.4 g
- Cholesterol 37.2 mg
- Sodium 947.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 11.5 g