Recipe by petlover
easist challah ever -- my bread machine has a quick dough cycle in which only one rise happens -- it is only used for quick yeast. time does not include rise time
- 1 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 3 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast (2 tsp quick yeast)
- 1 egg
- poppy seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients ( except second egg and poppy seeds) in bread machine pan.
- For dough cycle -- use 1 1/2 tsp yeast
- For Quick Dough Cycle---.
- ( NOT QUICK BREAD) use 2 tsp quick yeast.
- Run dough cycle and remove dough.
- On floured board shape dough into 3 long rolled pieces.
- Put braid on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Let rise at least 1 hour.
- Beat egg and use paintbrush to paint challah braid.
- Sprinkle poppy seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees 20 minutes or more ( until golden brown).