Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I was searching for a recipe for vanilla ice cream that didn't require eggs, and this worked perfectly. We enjoy this with blackberry topping. I don't remember where I got this recipe.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes plain gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 quarts milk
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 3 cups sugar (to taste)
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons vanilla flavoring
- Soak gelatin in the 1/2 cup water.
- Scald 2 cups milk and dissolve the gelatin in the hot milk.
- Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Cool to room temperature and add the evaporated milk, the 2 1/2 qts milk and the vanilla flavoring.
- Chill and then freeze in a 6 quart freezer.
- Time it takes to make does not include chilling and freezing.
- For the blackberry topping I just use a bag of frozen blackberries adding just enough sugar to taste good and enough corn starch to thicken. Boil this down and use as ice cream topping. Sorry, I don't have measurements for this I just eyeball the ingredients.