Prep 8 hrs
Cook 15 mins
I love, love, love french toast but can't digest its eggy coating. So, this is my very close alternative! (p.s. - this also sub's as a yummy drink mixed with coffee liqour & ice!)
- 2 cups cold 1% low-fat milk
- 0.333 (136 1/4 g) package vanilla pudding mix (not instant)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat whipping cream (not cool whip)
- 1 -3 tablespoon light margarine
- 6 -8 slices bread, day old
- Prep. time is overnight, cook time is 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl beat milk and pudding powder on low speed for 2 min's. Beat in sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon and vanilla until combined. Put in fridge.
- In a chilled mixing bowl, beat whip cream on high 2-3 min's until thickened. Take milk mixture out of fridge and whisk in whip cream slowly until well combined and frothy.
- Wrap and refridgerate overnight or up to 24 hours.
- When ready to eat, heat up electric griddle and dredge bread slices until coated but not soggy.
- Spread 1 tablespoons margarine on griddle and add bread slices (**Yes, the slices will get somewhat soggy whilst cooking, but rest assured it will all work out!) When first side is golden, but not browned, turn over.
- Thinly spread some margarine on "top" and cook bottom side till golden, flip again and brown. Thinly spread margarine on "bottom" and brown. (because there's no egg to bind it, all this flipping is for the toast's own good! ).
- Eat with syrup and/or fruit of your choice!