Recipe by Miria
This is a awesome recipe for brownies with No Eggs. These are some of the best home made brownies I have had. Please try some of the add ins, but just plain are great also.
Top Review by St_Nougat
Just made this up, the one in my hand is still warm.<br/><br/>Lets start by stating a few things. I've never made a water flour paste as a substitute for eggs before, it very quickly reached the consistency of paste in my opinion, much faster than I was expecting. I don't know if I really did it right.<br/><br/>I ran out of brown sugar in between 3/4 and 7/8 of a cup. thankfully I had some molasses left over from a beer I brewed a long time ago and was able to make my own. I ended up tossing in a little extra because who doesn't like brown sugar (even thought the home made stuff made with the darker 'full flavor' molasses smelled pretty funky, it tasted alright).<br/><br/>I opted to substitute butter for the oil. following a suggestion on another site I figured 4.5 tablespoons of butter was about equivalent to the 1/2 cup on oil that was called for. I also browned the butter to bring out the flavor. another first for me.<br/><br/>The batter came out very thick, like a solid brick of chocolaty goodness. I ended up adding about 1/8 cup more oil (my butter substitution may have been off, or maybe to much liquid got cooked off). It helped a little but the batter was still very thick and only vaguely resembled the consistency of traditional brownie batter. I also tossed in what was left of a bag of chocolate chips.<br/><br/>in cooking the stuff I had to cook it about twice as long constantly checking it with a knife to see if it was done, worrying the whole time that some of it would be over cooked.<br/><br/>the end result: pretty good.<br/>is it as good as a good recipe for traditional brownies? no, not quite. It is really good though. The sample I had had the right consistency of a chewy edge and a gooey middle. it sweet and chocolaty. So I must say, pretty good.<br/><br/>Minor after taste that you don't get with traditional brownies but still really good.<br/><br/>if you want brownies and for whatever reason can't made the traditional ones with eggs then I highly recommend this recipe.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water and 1/2 cup of flour over low heat stirring constantly, until it reaches the consistency of a thin glue paste. Remove from heat and let cool before proceeding.
- Mix sugar, salt, vanilla, cocoa, and oil in large bowl. Then add the flour/water mixture. Mix well.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and any of the optional items.
- Spread the mix into a greased 11x7-inch pan. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes, or until a knife can be inserted and come out cleanly.