Recipe by MarthaStewartWanabe
I got this recipe from the cookbook, "Bakin' Without Eggs: Delicious Egg-Free Dessert Recipes from the Heart and Kitchen of a Food-Allergic Family" by Rosemarie and Kevin Emro. The only adjustment I made was omitting the chocolate chips and walnuts to make the recipe nut-free and vegan as well. The brownies turned out chewy and moist. (Note: Due to comments regarding inadequate baking time, I have adjusted the recipe to use a 9" x 13" pan instead of 8" x 8". I used a 9" x 13" pan when baking the brownies for the first time, and they turned out wonderfully. As this recipe is from a cookbook, I had simply typed the directions as written not accounting for my use of a larger pan. Oops! Please don't hesitate to try. Hope you enjoy!)
Top Review by sarahkathleenx
I tried this recipe because my fiances roommate is allergic to eggs. It was terrible! I followed the directions completely, and had to bake them A LOT longer and when i cut them and dished them, they fell apart. I'm not sure if I did something wrong but I won't be using this recipe again.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly spray an 9" x 13" baking pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Combine ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and mix thoroughly (batter will be thick). Fold in nuts and chocolate chips if desired.
- Spoon batter evenly into a prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into 12 squares, serve and enjoy!