Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This chicken tortilla soup is a recipe that I came up with when I got tired of seeing all of the others that have you mix in packets of seasoning and really they turn our way too spicy to enjoy or they're so bland, you don't want to eat them. This is something my husband loves and he never liked tortilla soup before. Great on a cold day and even better when you get the craving. This is a healthy recipe that's nothing but homemade.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to your soup pot, let heat on medium heat for about 3 minutes prior to adding chicken.
- Salt and pepper chicken breasts. I like to cut the cooking time down, so I slice my chicken in half to thin it out. Sprinkle with cumin on both sides and add chicken to the pan. Cook until both sides are golden brown (chicken does not need to fully cook on the inside because it will be added to hot broth.).
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside for at least 10 minutes to cool prior to cutting in thin slices.
- Cut up celery, bell pepper, onion and jalapeño and add to the pan on medium heat. Let this cook for about 5 minutes prior to adding the corn. Cut the corn off the cobb and add to the hot pan. Let all veggies cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Chop up the two chipotle peppers and add to the pan with the one teaspoon of the sauce that covers the peppers. Let cook for two minutes prior to adding the can of crushed tomatoes.
- Let this all simmer together for 2 minutes and then add the box of chicken broth.
- Add in 2 tbsps of the chopped cilantro and let soup boil for about 3 minutes. Bring soup down to a simmer for about 20 minutes to let the flavors melt together.
- Serve by garnishing with the remainder of cilantro and an avocado slice.