Recipe by -Patrish
I've tried several pizza sauce recipes with no luck finding anything my family likes. But then I came across this recipe from New Orleans restaurant critic, Tom Fitzmorris. Although the recipe calls for canned Italian tomatoes, I prefer sliced fresh Italian plum tomatoes. Yum! Canned is fine though if that's all you have on hand.
Top Review by Ambervim
I will never buy that cheating store bought again. This is so easy, why would I. I was heavy handed on all the spiced except the parsley, having none at hand. Was wonderful on my pizza tonight.
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole peeled Italian tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 6 leaves fresh basil
- 6 sprigs flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (I like Kosher salt)
Directions See How It's Made
- [Skip this step if you're using fresh tomatoes] Mix and semi-puree all ingredients in a food processor for about 20 seconds. 'It may seem a little too runny, but trust me--it works!'-Tom Fitzmorris.
- If you're using fresh tomatoes, just slice and place evenly on top of crust, brush them with the olive oil, and sprinkle the next 6 ingredients over the tomatoes.
- Now pile on your favorite toppings and bake. That's it!