Recipe by Monique in LA
Here's one of those "no cook quickie cakes" to put together when you are busy with other things. It's cool, low fat, fairly low sugar, yet has such a good flavor. I've seen similar recipes in magazines but they use pineapple and strawberries. My mother in law makes this with mandarin oranges and everyone loves it. I made a chocolate cake and this one when we had a crowd to feed, including 12 kids. This cake was gone and there was still half a chocolate cake left. Cooking time is really chilling time.
Top Review by tinker :0)
Made this cake once before- however I did not use the oranges (will next time) instead layered strawberries in and place whole strawberries on top as garnish! Cake is light and perfect for summer
- 1 prepared angel food cake, ring (I buy the no sugar added one)
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, with liquid
- 1 (1 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding (sugar free, fat free)
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained well
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip Lite, thawed
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) candrained mandarin oranges (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut angel food cake into 2 or 3 layers.
- Stir the crushed pineapple and vanilla pudding until blended.
- Add madarin oranges, mixing well with pudding mixture. The orange sections will resemble the crushed pineapple when finished.
- Fold in cool whip.
- Frost layers of cake generously with this mixture and use remaining to "frost" the outside of the cake.
- You can arrange more mandarin orange sections along the top of the cake if desired. Gives it some color.
- Let chill for a couple of hours, if you can wait that long.
- Last time I wanted to let it "chill" it was gone before the chill time was finished.