Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A very easy and tasty fresh sauce! You can make this up quickly and forget about it until dinner, or even make it up ahead of time and take it with you to a friend's house to help with dinner. :) Prep time doesn't include setting time.
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, charred,skinned and chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped prepared roasted red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed white cheese (fontina, gouda, provolone, Monterey Jack or farmers cheese)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed,to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh sweet basil, chopped (or 3 tsp dried basil)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients at least 1/2 hour (or up to 3 hours) before you intend to serve and let sit (in the fridge is fine) to allow the flavors to meld.
- To serve, pour over hot cooked linguine or penne and accompany with a salad and good, crusty bread.
- Makes 3 to 4 servings.
This is perfect 'fresh' taste, easy and just looks like summer!! Used dried basil...so added chopped parsley to keep with the fresh look and taste! (tastes great the next day in the lunch box too!) Thank you
This is my husband's favorite recipe! During the summer, we make it several times a month. He also adores it leftover in his lunch. The version Julesong gave me didn't have the red pepper, balsamic vinegar, or brown sugar. I prefer feta as my white cheese. Also, because I don't like basil, I use lots of fresh chopped oregano and 1/2 tsp dried basil instead. Very good!