Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great make-ahead frosting which can be refrigerated up to 2 weeks or frozen up to 3 months. Makes enough frosting for 2-8", 2-9" or 1 - 13x9 cake. Cook time includes cooling time.
- 4 3⁄4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a bowl mix together the powdered sugar and cocoa.
- Add the butter, boiling water and vanilla.
- Beat with mixer at low speed until combined.
- Beat at medium speed for 1 minute.
- Cool for 20-30 minutes or until spreading consistency.
- Can refrigerate, covered for up to 2 weeks.
- Before using let stand at room temperature about 3 hours or until spreadable.
- OR place in a moisute and vapor-proof container; seal, label and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Before using, thaw and let stand until spreadable.
This is the best frosting. Very easy to make. It is exactly like the frosting used at a local bakery. This is going to be my "go to" frosting for anything chocolate.
Yum!! This is easy, foolproof, and great. I added a few drops of cherry extract, and melted the butter instead of softening (accidentally) and it worked out great! I will try my special dark cocoa powder next time, and I bet it will be even better! Thanks!
I made just as said, but this did not work for me. It turned out more like a milk chocolate buttercream than a dark fudgy frosting like in the picture. I also did not need to wait 20 min as it was too stiff to spread from the start, so I added more boiling water. I used it because I didn't want to waste, but it really wasn't the kind of frosting (fudge) that I was looking for at all.