Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posted for ZWT6 - Scandinavian Region. I found this on scandinavianfoods.com and thought what a terrific recipe to make with the kids or when you don't feel like heating up the kitchen. Pearl sugar is like large granulated sugar - or very coarse sugar. A good replacement is to coarsely chop sugar cubes if you can't find this in your locale. This recipe gives two options - one using orange juice or the other using cold brewed coffee - I think both options are great choices!
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- flaked coconut (see note in description) or pearl sugar (see note in description)
- Mix together the quick oats, sugar, and cocoa powder. Add up to 6 tablespoons cold orange juice (or use the cold brewed coffee) to moisten. Using your hands, rub in the butter until batter holds together in a soft mass.
- Shape the batter into walnut-sized balls. Roll each one in coconut or pearl sugar.
- Place cocoa balls on baking sheet and refrigerate for at least one hour (if you like firmer cookies, place in freezer).
This looks delicious and fun to make with my Grandson. I do have a question regarding the amount of Orange juice. It says to add up to 3 Tab. .Does this mean only use the other #3 if <br/>needed ? Thank You so much for sharing this recipe. I Love passing on Family traditions to my<br/>Grandson.
These are great - easy to make with a lovely flavor. I made them right before dinner and then stuck them in the freezer while we enjoyed the rest of the meal. They had the perfect consistency when I pulled them out - very fudgey like. I used the orange juice version. Thanks for sharing! ZWT6
This one is a keeper! Delicious and so so easy to make. I subbed splenda and it worked fine. Kids will really love helping with this because you have to scrunch the butter through the oats and cocoa so it covers everything. Once i added the last three tbs of coffee it really turned into a ball of batter, so easy. I also subbed some peanut butter for the butter.