Prep 4 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This melt in your mouth casserole is a must during the holidays. Prep time seems like a lot but most of the work here is done in the crock pot.
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 907.18 g green beans
- 297.66 g can cream of mushroom soup
- 177.44 ml smoked gouda cheese (divided in half, shredded)
- 59.14 ml buttermilk
- 236.59 ml French's French fried onions
- Snap the ends off of the green beans and then snap the green beans in half. Place the green beans in a crock pot with the ham hock.
- Add enough water to barely cover the green beans. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Take the green beans and ham hock out of the crockpot. Gently remove the meat off of the bone of the ham hock and place the meat into a bowl. Working with your hands tear the ham into tiny pieces.
- Pour the cream of mushroom soup and the buttermilk into the bowl with the ham. Stir to combine. Stir in half of the cheese and then gently fold in the green beans carefully so the beans do not break.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered casserole dish. Top with the rest of the cheese and the french fried onions.
- Bake on 375 for 20 minutes or until bubbly and hot.
This was the best green bean casserole! I usually skip making or eating this during the holidays, but i had to try this one. The buttermilk, gouda, and ham hock are great together- smokey and tangy! And prep wasn't that difficult. I started it the night before and in the morning mixed it together and stuck it in the fridge until I was ready to heat it. I will admit, I used canned green beans. I couldn't find any decent fresh green beans. But this is a winner, I'll probably make it every year.