Recipe by Paprika Pink
A handy alternative for the no-canned-soup crowd.
Top Review by michele d.
My husband refuses to eat it again. I did enjoy the celery in this dish but my husband and I both agree that cumin does not belong in it. And the bread crumbs on top with the cheese never melted and it was way too much. Crushed crackers might work but too little liquid in recipe for bread crumbs on top.
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni (or pasta of your choice, I use Barilla Extra or Ronzoni SmartTaste)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour (I use Wondra, it helps!)
- 2 -3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard (deli style, brown, or seeded, I don't think plain yellow or Dijon would be good.)
- 14 ounces tuna, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Cook firm, not soft. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and celery and saute until translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over sauteed vegetables. Stir well, Cook, stirring frequently, over medium-low heat for two minutes, until flour looses "powdery" taste. Do not brown.
- Slowly, a 1/4 cup or so at a time, add milk, stirring well after each addition. Add cumin, celery seed, mustard, salt and pepper (there--you've made cream of onion/celery soup).
- Add peas. Cook until peas and soup are heated through.
- Remove from heat, add tuna and 1 cup of the cheese.
- If your pot is big enough, add the noodles. Otherwise, transfer soup and noodles to a large bowl and mix well.
- Transfer all to greased 10 x 14" casserole dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at 325 for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine bread crumbs with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Romove casserole from oven. Uncover and top casserole with bread crumb/cheese mixture.
- Return to oven and bake uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes more.