Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
A variation of the ultimate lazy appetizer recipe from the 80's, when you threw shrimp over a block of cream cheese, poured cocktail sauce over it, and served with crackers. I do it this way for a bigger group and also because it's easier to spread on crackers. Note: Many times I use 3 cans (or 1/4 lb. fresh) shrimp, so I can satisfy greedy shrimp lovers who are there. (Note: You may not need to use the whole bottle of cocktail sauce -- use your judgement adding enough to cream cheese to make it spreading consistency and adding a layer of sauce on top of the mixture.)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperatore
- 2 (6 ounce) canscocktail shrimp, drained or 1⁄4 lb fresh cooked shrimp, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 (12 ounce) bottleshrimp seafood cocktail sauce
- Mix together softened cream cheese, 2/3 of shrimp, sliced onions and 1/2 bottle of shrimp cocktail sauce.
- Mix well, adding more cocktail sauce if necessary to make mixture a spreading consistency.
- Put in a serving bowl, put a thin layer of cocktail sauce over spread to cover top, then arrange remaining shrimp over that to decorate the appetizer.
- Chill, then serve with crackers of your choice.
Glad you posted this one, Mareesme! YUMMO! Doesn't get any tastier and easier than this. Used Recipe#18273 for the cocktail sauce. ENJOYED both recipes! Made for Think Pink Tag.