Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
A variation of the ultimate lazy appetizer recipe from the 80's, when you threw shrimp over a block of cream cheese, poured cocktail sauce over it, and served with crackers. I do it this way for a bigger group and also because it's easier to spread on crackers. Note: Many times I use 3 cans (or 1/4 lb. fresh) shrimp, so I can satisfy greedy shrimp lovers who are there. (Note: You may not need to use the whole bottle of cocktail sauce -- use your judgement adding enough to cream cheese to make it spreading consistency and adding a layer of sauce on top of the mixture.)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperatore
- 2 (6 ounce) canscocktail shrimp, drained or 1⁄4 lb fresh cooked shrimp, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 (12 ounce) bottleshrimp seafood cocktail sauce
- Mix together softened cream cheese, 2/3 of shrimp, sliced onions and 1/2 bottle of shrimp cocktail sauce.
- Mix well, adding more cocktail sauce if necessary to make mixture a spreading consistency.
- Put in a serving bowl, put a thin layer of cocktail sauce over spread to cover top, then arrange remaining shrimp over that to decorate the appetizer.
- Chill, then serve with crackers of your choice.
Glad you posted this one, Mareesme! YUMMO! Doesn't get any tastier and easier than this. Used Super Easy Cocktail Sauce for the cocktail sauce. ENJOYED both recipes! Made for Think Pink Tag.