Finally tried this cake a few days ago after having it in a folder since 1981. It worked very well. I did not try it with the frosting since I served it as a simple snack cake to pack in lunches. I do believe I am in love with no-bowl cakes! I baked this in an 8 inch square pan and it needed the 35 minutes in my oven.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana, mash till smooth and creamy
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In an 8 or 9 inch square cake pan, with a fork mix well flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.
- Add remaining cake ingredients to pan. Mix with a fork until thoroughly blended. Using a rubber spatula, scrape any ingredients clinging to sides, corners and bottom of pan into the batter. Even out batter in the pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a pick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. When cool spread with frosting if desired. Makes 9 servings.
- To make frosting, beat together butter and sugar until thoroughly blended. Add lemon juice; beat until smooth and of spreading consistency.
Great easy to make cake. Used 2 1/2 smallish bananas. Cooked in a small loaf tin for about 45 minutes in the oven. Beautiful moist cake. Frosted with lemon cream cheese frosting and sprinkled with chopped walnuts. Photo also being posted