Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Strawberry flavoured "gel dessert"(AKA vegan Jell-O) adds a bright pink hue and a vibrant fruity sweetness that's tempered by fresh, sour rhubarb right out of my backyard. It's a great summer dessert either unadorned or jazzed up with frosting and ice cream!
- 1⁄4 cup vanilla sugar
- 1 cup low fat strawberry yogurt
- evaporated 2% milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup fine-ground cornmeal
- 2 (3 ounce) packages strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert (if vegetarian use Natural Desserts Strawberry Fruit Jel Dessert Mix)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 7 (1 g) packetspurevia stevia (or your favourite stevia)
- 1 lb chopped rhubarb (about 3 3/4 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 9x13" pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the vanilla sugar, yoghurt, milk, eggs and butter until well blended.
- Add the flour, cornmeal, dessert mix, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and stevia, beating to combine.
- Fold in the rhubarb.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a tester comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan.