1/2 Photos of No Beans, No Tomatoes, No Foolin' Chili
I am one who wouldn't know what to do if my chili didn't have beans in it. Keeping an open mind, I tried this and thought it was excellent. Sometimes, you can teach an old dog a few new tricks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 3 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch pieces and well trimmed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup beer
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal (preferable stone ground)
- 1In a big skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.
- 2Add in the beef (in batches, if necessary); cook, turning often and adding more oil if needed, until meat is browned on all sides.
- 3Transfer to a 4 quart slow cooker.
- 4Add the remaining oil to the skillet; lower heat to medium.
- 5Add in the onions, bell peppers, and jalapenos; stir/saute for about 7 minutes or until onions are softened.
- 6Add in the chili powder, garlic, oregano, cumin, and salt; stir for 30 seconds.
- 7Remove skillet from heat; add in beer; stir, scrapping up the browned bits on the bottom of the skillet.
- 8Pour the vegetable mixture into the slow cooker.
- 9Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- 10Skim fat from the surface of the chili.
- 11Thicken the chili by stirring in the cornmeal and cooking uncovered, for 15 more minutes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No Beans, No Tomatoes, No Foolin' Chili
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 841.8
- Calories from Fat 561
- Total Fat 62.3 g
- Saturated Fat 22.4 g
- Cholesterol 182.5 mg
- Sodium 620.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 51.0 g