Recipe by Vegetarian Network Austin
This recipe was featured in our February/March 2010 newsletter. It was submitted by guest author Mary Olivar, Healthy Eating Specialist for the Whole Foods Market flagship store. It was inspired by a recipe by Joel Fuhrman,, M.D., author of Eat for Health. She says that they are easy to make and great for the holidays and suggests using different kinds of preserves for a variety of flavors.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup dates, pitted
- 1 1⁄2 cups almond butter
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt (optional)
- all-fruit preserves
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak dates in warm water to cover for 10-15 minutes.
- Grind oats in a blender or food processor.
- Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Place dates in the food processor with 1/2 cup of soaking liquid and puree.
- Add to oats, along with almond butter, coconut, orange zest and juice, and spices.
- Knead together until a dough is formed.
- Form into balls and press down in middle with thumb.
- Place a small amount of preserves in the indentation.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.