Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Colleen Patrick-Goudreau is the source of this recipe which was originally on the Green Options blog. Use as many organic ingredients as you can! Best served within an hour or two of making it. The cooking time is actually the time in the fridge once made.
- 2 cups raw almonds or 2 cups pecans
- 3⁄4 cup dates, pitted (preferably Medjool)
- 5 cups ripe strawberries, sliced
- 5 pitted dates
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 dark chocolate bar, chunked (preferably from a good, organic, fair-trade bar, to taste) (optional)
- Soak the pitted dates for the filling in warm water for 10 minutes and then drain.
- Place the nuts in a food processor and grind until they’re a coarse meal. Add the dates (for the crust) and process until thoroughly combined. Press the mixture into a non-stick or very lightly oiled pie plate or spring form pan.
- Arrange 4 cups of the sliced strawberries on top of the crust and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the remaining 1 cup of strawberries with the 5 soaked dates and lemon juice. Puree until smooth. Pour the sauce mixture over strawberries.
- Arrange the chocolate chunks on the top of the sauce (optional), and refrigerate the pie for 1 hour before serving. This will help the pie set and will be perfect for slicing.
This is good without the chocolate too, but I have to admit the chocolate does bump it up a notch. I was using Dole brand dates, which I believe are smaller than medjools, so I used about double in the filling. (I also used Hershey's Special Dark. shhhh.) Very good. I'm sure I will make this again! Reviewed for Healthy Choices ABC Tag.