Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
When berry season comes, this pie makes the most of them. Recipe from Domino.
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries, tops removed, plus 4 strawberries, reserved (about 4 pints)
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 2 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Place 2 pounds strawberries in a blender and blend on high until pureed, about 10 seconds (do in two batches if necessary).
- Combine milk, sugar and cornstarch in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, and whisk until dissolved. Add the strawberry puree and lemon juice. Cook on high heat, whisking frequently, until the mixture is thick and bubbling (about 7 minutes); remove from heat.
- Place graham-cracker crumbs in a 10" x 1 ½"-deep pie plate, drizzle with melted butter and mix until all the crumbs are moistened. With the back of a spoon, press evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate to form a crust.
- Pour strawberry filling into crust and let cool completely (about 30 minutes). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Just before serving, place heavy cream in a mixing bowl and, with an electric mixer, blend on high until stiff peaks form. Add confectioners' sugar and blend another 10 seconds. Using a spatula, spread the whipped cream over the filling. Slice reserved strawberries, add to top and serve.