Recipe by mailbelle
Found this on the Aldi website (I LOVE Aldi) and it looked interesting. Haven't tried yet, but I love Butterfingers so will probably be trying soon!
Top Review by NorthwestGal
I worked with this recipe a bit and eventually got it perfect. But like the previous reviewer, the candy was problematic for me on my first attempt. It's really tasty, but the base layer set so hard that I couldn't cut it into bars. So I went to the Q&A board and asked for advice from the candy experts. I found out there is a very easy fix for that problem. First, in Step #1, heat the sugar, Karo, and peanut butter over low heat (NOT medium) heat. Second, the mixture should NOT reach a boil, but rather it should be heated, while stirring constantly, just enough for the sugar to dissolve into the syrup and the peanut butter to melt enough to be smoothly stirred into the sugar/syrup. The rest of the recipe instructions are fine as written. So I made another batch that incorporated those tips, and it turned out MUCH better. It's a 5-star candy if you make it with the modified cooking instructions.
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups corn flakes, crushed
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla, then crushed cereal.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly buttered baking dish. Spread melted chocolate over top and let harden.