Recipe by paphlovian
I have been looking for a protein bar that is not full of carbs. The following is a my own interpretation of a recipe I found online. You could experiment with other ingredients (i.e., other types of protein powder, coco powder, nuts and seeds, etc...). If you come up with other variations, let me know! :)
Top Review by Anonymous
I added your receipy to Myfitnesspal and it produced the following nutrition table for it per serve (1 bar) As you can see below the nutrition table looks excellent and is the best DIY munch bars I could find! Each bar is 184 Calories mainly derived from the Cocoa and Coconut products. Fat 11.2g Cholesterol 0g Sodium 20.8mg Potasium 163mg Total Carbs 8.7g Protein 18.1g Vitamin A 0.8% Vitamin C 0.2% Calcium 9.2% Needless to say I used low carb protein powder instead of the rice as a protein source. I can produce a calorie breakdown if anyone is interested but I'm a low Carber at heart!
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed meal (grind whole flax in a coffee grinder)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 10 tablespoons protein powder (I use rice)
- 3 tablespoons carob powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon stevia powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup water (more or less, as necessary)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Mix all dry ingredients well.
- 2. Mix together almond butter and coconut oil in a small cup (if the oven is warm (not hot!) I place it in there for a minute to soften it before stiring.
- 3. Add almond butter and oil to dry ingredients and mix WELL (I actually use my hands to do this). The mixture will be rather dry and crumbly.
- 4. Add vanilla extract and water (I'd recommend adding water gradually, starting with 1/4 cup, so you don't overdo it) and mix well.
- 5. Grease a 9x9 pan (or similar size) and press dough into pan. I press for a few minutes with my hand to create a consistent thickness.
- 6. Chill in the fridge for several hours to set, then cut into approximately 6 pieces. Wrap each one individually for a quick snack, or store them with wax paper in-between.