Recipe by I'mPat
I originally found this recipe on the back of a can of Nestles condensed milk about 30 years ago but lost it a few years back and after a google search I found it again. If you like a strong lemon flavour add the grated lemon rind. I use a deep pie plate but you could use a spring form cake tin but I think you would need to line the side. Chill time is the cooking time (30 minutes for crust and 4 hours for cheese cake to set). Once set I quite often slice the cheesecake and freeze slices in an air tight container - DH takes frozen slices in the morning for work for morning tea (about 2-3 hours later).
Top Review by minmin-mika
I like flavors of the lemons very much. And this recipe is better. This thickens by putting condensed milk and the flavor of milk and the lemon is very rich and is splendid and is delicious! I like a strong lemon flavour added the grated lemon rind, and I sprinkled it on the tip. I did not use the crust and I put only filling in a glass and enjoyed this. I intend to try this with a fresh orange on the next time. I prepare for the crust and intend to completely obey your instructions. I intend to continue enjoying this with an apple, a blueberry, a banana, various variations from now on. Thank you for a delicious recipe!
- 250 g biscuits
- 125 g butter (melted)
- 250 g cream cheese (I use Philadelphia at room temperature)
- 400 g condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind (grated) (optional)
- 80 ml lemon juice (1/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon gelatin (powder)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (grated) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 25cm (10 inch) deep pie plate with alfoil overlapping around the edges.
- Crush biscuits into fine crumbs (a food processor is great for this).
- Mix in melted butter and combine well.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of crumbs for decoration if wanted (or if not using nutmeg).
- Press rest or all of crumbs into pie plate, pressing down firmly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to help set.
- Into a mixing bowl put in cream cheese, condensed milk, lemon juice and lemon rind if using and mix thoroughly until well blended (about 5 minutes).
- Mix water and gelatine until gelatine is dissolved and add to cream cheese mixture.
- Pour into prepared chilled shell.
- Decorate with reserved crumbs or nutmeg.
- Chill for 4 hours to fully set.
- VARIATION -.
- For a chocolate version omit lemon juice and rind and add 125 grams of melted chocolate to cheese mix and use plain chocolate biscuits for base and decorate with grated chocolate or curls.
- To remove from pie plate lift out by edges of alfoil and transfer to serving plate.