Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Healthy snacks that kids (and grown ups) will love! I originally got the recipe from Whole Foods, then changed it up a bit. This is dairy-free and vegetarian. NOTE: I have many a time made these without toasting the oats and coconut and it works out just fine that way as well :)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar (lately I have been just using 2 T of Splenda instead of this)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mixed nuts (I like to use almond slivers and chopped walnuts mixed)
- 1⁄8 cup raisins (I use golden ones)
- 1⁄8 cup dried cranberries (May sub with dried blueberries or dried cherries)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread oats and coconut on a cookie sheet. Place in the oven and toast for about 12 minutes, stirring twice, until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, combine the peanut butter, honey and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring continuously, until ingredients are thoroughly blended and sugar has completely melted (about 2 minutes).
- Add the toasted oats and coconut to the peanut butter mixture, followed by the nuts, raisins and cranberries. Stir to combine. Set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Working with dampened hands, shape into bite sized balls and refrigerate for an hour. I usually let mine sit out for about 15 minutes prior to serving as we like them a little gooey.
Great recipe! Easy and delicious. I used baby oats and skipped toasting them. I used walnuts for the nuts and dried cherries for the fruit. I added about 1/2 cup carob chips after cooling the mixture. I like the idea of shaping them like balls instead of bars. I had to take the pictures quickly because they got devoured! Made for February 2009 Veg Swap.
Yum, these are great and so easy to make as well. I subbed agave nectar for the honey to make it vegan, and it worked just fine. I used a mixture of hemp seeds, cashews and walnuts. Thanks for posting, made for the Dec 08 veg swap.
Five star and fantastic - what more can I say except I nearly ate the lot !!