Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Basic cheesecake recipe from packet of Philly Cream Cheese from thirty years ago. I use the syrup from the canned fruit to set the fruit in a clear jelly. Any fruit looks nice but don't use syrup if using cherries, it is too dark and it is nicer to be able to see the fruit through clear jelly. Syrup makes a clear gel, juice is cloudy. I haven't allow for chilling time in preparation time. I usually double recipe for a party and use a larger spring form pan. I also often use chocolate biscuits (not chocolated coated but I guess they'd work) and process them to make the crumbs.
- 250 g cream cheese
- 400 g can condensed milk
- 78.07 ml lemon juice
- 200 g plain sweet biscuit crumbs
- 29.58 ml cocoa
- 60 g butter, melted
- 415 g can peach slices in syrup, not juice
- 415 g can black cherries, juice not used
- 310 g can mandarin oranges in light syrup
- 14.79 ml gelatin
- 300 ml whipping cream
- Mix crumbs, cocoa and melted butter and press into the bottom of foil lined 8" round cake tin with spring base.
- Beat cream cheese until soft, add condensed milk gradually, then lemon juice.
- Pour onto biscuit base and chill 4hrs or overnight.
- Once cheesecake is well chilled arrange well drained fruit decoratively on top of cheesecake and return to fridge - I like to freeze cheescake before this step then it is much easier to work with, jelly sets quickly and it is it easy to get out of springform without cracking jelly.
- Mix syrups together, except for the dark cherry syrup which is too dark, and sprinkle gelatine over; let it soak into syrup then mix well and chill in fridge until it is just starting to set - it will set quickly once it is on chilled cheesecake so don't wait for it to be almost set or it will be lumpy when you spoon it over fruit. It is right when it is only just starting to set but still able to be poured.
- Take cheesecake from fridge and gently pour the jelly over the fruit making sure it is as even as possible, return cheesecake to fridge. Any bubbles, prick with point of a knife.
- Once cheesecake and jelly top are well set and firm remove from springform pan and set on large serving plate; pipe whipped cream around edge of cheesecake, then return to fridge until ready to serve.
- FOR CREAMIER CHEESECAKE; To make extra light and creamy add another 250g tub of light cream cheese and use a 1/2 cup lemon juice instead of 1/3 cup.