Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This cookie is so cool! It is chewy and crunchy. It does not need to be baked. Kids who are trying their hand at making this may need a little help from an adult to heat the mixture in a saucepan on the stovetop. These cookies are good anytime. These cookies will last for upto 1 week in an airtight container or upto 1 month if well wrapped and frozen. This recipe is from the Thursday magazine of Oman dated January 3-9'2008. It has been adapted from The Pastry Queen Christmas, Big-Hearted Entertaining, Texas Style, by Rebecca Rather with Alison Oresman (Ten Speed Press, 2007). Enjoy!
- Combine the butter, egg yolks and sugar in a large saucepan.
- Stir on medium flame until the butter melts.
- Add the dates and continue cooking and stirring for about 5 minutes.
- (Note: The dough will be difficult to stir, but do your best).
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the vanilla essence, salt, puffed rice and pecans.
- Roll the dough into bite-sized balls (about 1 inch in diameter).
- Roll the balls in the shredded coconut to coat with the same.
- Serve with a smile and enjoy!