These cookies are known through town. They take a while to make but are well worth it. Be sure to use instant oats. I have tried updating the recipe numerous times to state that, but it defaults to "Quicker Quaker Oats". It helps to stir them in a bit at a time so they cook and you can gauge the dryness of the mixture.
- Bring butter, sugar, cocoa, and milk to a hard boil over low heat, stirring constantly in a heavy sauce pan.
- Boil for just over 1 minute. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract and peanut butter until all is melted.
- Add oats.
- Work quickly dropping by spoonfuls onto wax paper.
- Let sit until hard.
- If the cookies are too dry, try boiling for less time or adding less oats.
- If they are too runny boil longer or add more oats.