Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
So good and easy to make! My siblings and I made huge batches of these cookies Sunday afternoons, and they were usually gone by Tuesday! The time for boiling the mixture is listed at 5 minutes, but if you cook it a little less, the cookies are chewier.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, milk, butter, cocoa (I tend to go a little heavy on the cocoa) and salt.
- Heat to boiling, stirring frequently.
- When it has reached a rolling boil, cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat and mix in vanilla, oats and coconut.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper.
- Work quickly!
- Let cool.
- Alternate/optional additions, add any one with coconut: 1/2-3/4 cup mini marshmallows or 1/2 cup walnuts.
loved these cookies as a child. mom always made them with carnation evaporated milk though.
Excellent! I only used 1 1/2 C sugar and it was still very sweet. I boiled it for only 2 min and it turned out great. I love the coconut in it!
this recipe has been a family thing for years. my mom baked it every christmas for the whole family now that she no longer lives close by i hope to be able to accomplish the same happiness from this recipe as she did. if you dont want to sit there waiting for the timer to go at 5 minutes my mom use to use a glass of cold water let a little drop into the glass if it forms a soft ball it is ready