Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe has been in my family for over 30 years. They are actually kind of a cross between a cookie and candy.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder (for baking)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 1⁄2 cups oats
- Mix the sugar, cocoa, butter and milk in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Let mixture boil for 2 1/2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Stir in the nuts and oats.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper.
- Work quickly, as mixture sets up quickly.
- Note: Mixture will be very hot, allow to cool completely before eating.
These were ok, but a little bit bitter. I would suggest cutting the cocoa to 1/4 cup, and adding a tsp. of vanilla right before adding the oats. Otherwise, a good recipe, brings back memories!