Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are rich and quick to make. My mom used to make these for us when we were kids.
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- Have sheets of waxed paper on the counter or table, ready to go.
- Mix the cocoa, sugar, milk and butter in a heavy, medium-sized saucepan.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a rolling boil; don't stir once it boils.
- Boil until the soft-ball stage.
- Remove from heat and stir in the peanutbutter, oats, vanilla and salt.
- Working quickly, drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper and let set at room temperature until firm.
- Quantities vary; it depends on how much you drop from your spoon.
- 2 dozen is an approximation.
These are always a hit at my place. Very addictive!
I felt like Lucille Ball on the chocolate production line, as I was trying to get the mixture on to the cookie sheets before it hardened up! These taste wonderful, the kids loved them and the chocolate/peanut flavour was delicious. Thankyou.
Kids and adults love these cookies. I served them to 25 kids and 3 teachers. One teacher said it reminded her of her childhood, and asked for the recipe. Thanks for posting this!