Recipe by *Chocoholic*
A very popular English cake which is like making your own chocolate bar. It contains only four ingredients; melted chocolate and butter, toasted nuts, and biscuits. There is no baking involved. All you do is mix the ingredients together in a bowl, press it into a tart or cake pan, and leave it to chill in the refrigerator. You have to try it. It's addictive!
Top Review by waynejohn1234
Can't understand why this recipe has not been rated by now. It is so easy and so very, very good. Wonderful to make in the summer when you want to keep the house cool. Also great at Xmas to add to a plate of squares. Thanks Chocoholic.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (cut into small pieces)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounces digestive biscuits or 4 ounces graham crackers or 4 ounces butter cookies
- 1 1⁄4 cups hazelnuts (toasted and chopped) or 1 1⁄4 cups almonds (toasted and chopped) or 1 1⁄4 cups walnuts (toasted and chopped) or 1 1⁄4 cups pecans (toasted and chopped) or 1 1⁄4 cups macadamia nuts (toasted and chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- If using hazelnuts: Preheat the oven to 350 degree F (177 degree C) and place the hazelnuts on a baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes or until fragrant and the skins begin to flake. Remove from oven and place a dish towel over the nuts. Let the nuts sit for a few minutes and then rub the nuts in the towel briskly to remove the skins. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
- If using almonds, walnuts, pecans, and/or macadamia nuts: In a 350 degree F oven bake the nuts for about 8 - 10 minutes or until lightly brown and fragrant. Let cool then chop coarsely.
- Then in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the butter and chocolate.
- Meanwhile break the digestive cookies into small pieces (about 1/2 inch).
- Once the butter and chocolate are melted, remove from heat and stir in the digestive cookies, along with their crumbs, and the chopped nuts.
- Spread this mixture into a lightly buttered 8 inch tart or cake pan, cover, and refrigerate for several hours or until set. Cut or break into slices. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.