Recipe by J. Ko
My mother gave me this recipe several years ago and I have made it many times to rave reviews. I have no idea where she got the recipe; perhaps from an Amaretto pamphlet. It has a wonderful smooth, creamy texture and is very rich and decadent; certainly not for those who are watching their waistlines. Worth every sinful bite! I hope you enjoy!
- 32 amaretti di saronno cookies (I can't remember exactly what they are called, but they are chocolate-dipped rolled waffle cookies)
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin (1 envelope of Knox unflavoured gelatin. If using sheet gelatin, use appropriate quantity to set 2 c)
- 1⁄2 cup Amaretto (almond liqueur)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate or 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- If you cannot find the waffle cookies already pre-dipped in chocolate, then melt 2 squares of semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate with 2 T of butter. Pour the chocolate mixture into a tall thin glass and dip the rolled waffle cookies in the chocolate. Place on a waxed paper-lined pan. Chill until set.
- Beat the cream cheese and brown sugar together until smooth.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the Amaretto, in a small saucepan, and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir over low heat until the gelatine dissolves.
- Blend the warm gelatin into the cheese mixture.
- Beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Fold into the gelatin and cheese mixture. Reserve 1 cup of this mixture.
- Melt the 6 squares of chocolate and let cool. Fold the chocolate into the remaining cheese mixture. Reserve 1/2 cup of this mixture.
- Use small dabs of the chocolate cheese mixture to aid in standing the prepared waffle cookies, dipped ends up, in a ring around the rim of a 8 1/2 inch springform pan.
- Spread the remaining chocolate cheese mixture into the prepared pan. Spread reserved plain cheese mixture evenly on top. Top with dabs of the reserved 1/2 cup of the chocolate cheese mixture. Swirl with a knife to create marbled effect.
- Chill for at least 4 hours.
- Garnish, if desired, with chocolate curls or whole blanched almonds. Let your imagination take you away!