Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my adopted recipe. I haven't made it yet.
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 6 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Lightly grease 13 x 9-inch pan.
- In large saucepan, combine corn syrup and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cook until sugar is dissolved; remove from heat. Add peanut butter; stir until mixture is smooth.
- Add cereal; mix well.
- Immediately press into greased pan.
- In medium saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips, stirring constantly.
- Spread evenly over bars.
- Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes, or cool completely at room temperature until chocolate is set. Cut into bars.
This is the first time I have ever assigned a rating here below three stars, but unfortunately this recipe rates very low in my book. The directions are clear, well-written and easy to follow, and that is why I assigned this two stars rather than just one. I followed them exactly. The mixture was hard to press into the pan, as it starts to set up almost immediately. But I got it levelled into the 13x9 pan, melted the chocolate and spread it over top, then let it sit at room temperature rather than in the fridge, because I didn't want it to go too hard. I needn't have bothered! This is as hard as a rock! With difficulty, I managed to crack a piece out with my chef's knife; nothing else would cut this. And it's so hard that you could honestly break a tooth on it; even if I could somehow get this into squares, I would be afraid to serve it to anyone. I hate to waste food, but I don't think I can salvage this.
These were good tasting, but I had made them the night before to take to work and they set up so hard that you could hardly cut them. They are definately not a make ahead type snack. They were good while they were freshly made though. If anyone knows any suggestions on how to keep them soft overnight let me know!
I made these for my favorite construction crew for a morning snack break, the guys raved and it's now their favorite snack.They think I'm awesome, (they don't have a clue how easy they are)!