Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My family's favourite childhood snack. I like it with smooth peanut butter, my mom likes it with crunchy peanut butter, my sister likes it without any peanut butter at all...you decide! Or spoon out some of the cookies and add peanut butter to the other portion! For the nuts, I've done everything from pecans to cashews to coconut! Try it differently each time.
- Prepare a cooling surface: sanitize and butter a countertop, butter foil, or spread waxpaper.
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, cocoa, milk and butter.
- Bring to a boil and cook for one minute.
- (You will notice gloss disappear from mixture and slowly start to become more matified, at this point you must work very quickly. If this happens to completely during cooking, you might want to pour mixture into a bread pan and slice and serve like fudge or simply start over. When this occurs while spooning, speed it up!).
- Remove from heat and quickly add oats and vanilla (as well as peanut butter and nuts if desired).
- Drop immediately and rapidly by teaspoonful on waxed paper or buttered countertop.
- Let stand 1/2 hour until cool (if you can). Cookies will set as they cool.