Recipe by ummadam
My sister-in-law taught me how to make this recipe. I have tasted it before, but didn't ask for the recipe because I thought that it would be very difficult to make. When I saw her making it though, I thought "hey, I can do that too!"
Top Review by Ranoush
Ya Madam, this was soooo good...I tried it without the bread as well and it was still sooo good.I put coconut and pistachios on top a drizzle of the syrup you can control the sweetness..This is a great Arabic pudding...YUM :)
- 10 slices white bread, old (if you don't have old bread, toast fresh bread)
- 2 cups double cream or 2 cups single cream
- 4 cups milk
- cardamom powder (optional)
- 3 tablespoons rose water
- 5 teaspoons cornflour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios, chopped
- sugar syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the crusts off the bread.
- Butter a glass dish and place the toast in the bottom of the dish. Make one layer across the bottom of the dish then pour the sugar syrup over the bread.
- In a sauce pan, pour the cream, 3 1/4 cups milk, sugar, cardamom, rosewater and the sugar and keep stirring while bringing to boil. Make sure all the sugar is dissolved.
- Add cornflour to the remaining milk and stir until no lumps are left.
- When the milk and cream mixture is boiling, add the cornflour mixture and keep stirring until thick.
- Pour mixture over the bread.
- Make another layer with any remaining bread and decorate with the nuts.
- Place in the fridge and leave to cool.