Recipe by Zenmaria
Got this recipe from Vegetarian Times. I didn't have Barley Malt Syrup - I used honey only. My boys LOVED them (thank goodness!). I bought the pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds in bulk so it made this recipe less expensive than buying the seeds packaged. I'm sure the almond butter could be replaced with peanut butter. Enjoy! Note: I have since made these many times and boy are they yummy! I did make them with Barley Malt and it adds a great flavor.
Top Review by Acoustic Indigo
Lovely! Crunchy, squishy and sweet. I will add more raisins and maybe some other spices next time (nutmeg? cloves? more cinnamon? I can't get enough flavor in my food!) A wonderfully earthy snack. ~ For PAC 2008
- 2 1⁄2 cups rolled oats (regular or quick cooking)
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds, raw (pepitas)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, raw
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup almond butter
- 1⁄3 cup honey, plus
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons barley malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind 1/2 cup oats and 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds in a blender/food processor until powdery. Transfer to a medium bowl; set aside.
- Combine remaining 2 cups oats, remaining 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, raisins, sunflower seeds, and cinnamon in large bowl. Stir in almond butter, honey, barley malt syrup and vanilla until soft dough forms.
- Moisten hands, and roll dough into 1 inch balls. Coat balls in oat-pumpkin seed powder. Place in freezer for 20 minutes to set, then serve or store in the fridge.