Genius cake, that is so rich and delicious! Modified from allrecipes.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate squares, chopped
- 1/2 cup Smart Balance light butter spread (or other non-dairy margarine)
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 3 eggs (whites and yolks separated)
- 8 matzos
- 1 (750 ml) bottle concord grape wine
- 1/4 cup nuts, finely chopped (hazelnuts are perfect, but use your favorite)
- 1Melt chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave by heating at 30 second intervals, and stirring between each one. When chocolate is almost melted, just remove from the microwave and stir until smooth. Set aside. (or just melt the chocolate by your favorite method). Adding a hazelnut flavored liquor to the chocolate will make this cake even more delicious!
- 2In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 3Beat in the egg yolks one at a time until well blended.
- 4In a separate bowl, whip egg whites with a pinch of superfine sugar until stiff.
- 5Fold the melted chocolate into the sugar mixture, then fold in the egg whites (carefully - fold in, do not mix).
- 6Pour 1/4 of the bottle of wine into an 8x8 inch baking dish (you may need to add more later).
- 7Soak one of the matzo sheets briefly on both sides, then remove to a serving platter (if you soak too long, it will break apart and become hard to work with).
- 8Spread a thin layer of the chocolate cream over the soaked matzo.
- 9Continue soaking and layering the matzos and chocolate cream, leaving enough of the chocolate mixture to frost the sides when finished.
- 10Press chopped nuts onto the sides, or sprinkle them on top for garnish.
- 11Refrigerate overnight to allow the chocolate and wine to blend flavors.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No-Bake 7 Layer Passover Cake
Serving Size: 1 (84 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.0
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 39.6 mg
- Sodium 74.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 13.0 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
bittersweet chocolate squares