This is our family's favorite seder night dessert. Decorating ideas are up to your imagination. Some of our favorites: piping on melted chocolate, sprinkling chopped or ground nuts or coconut. You can change the chocolate for a fruit flavor by substituting jam for the chocolate. You can add more layers. Use egg or regular matzah. If there is left over meringue just crush some more matzah into some wine and add mix the moist matzah with the left over meringue. Form it into logs in wax paper, wrap in foil and freeze. Later cut into slices and place in tiny cupcake papers for a nice bonbon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt chocolate over warm water in a double boiler. (I prefer using a microwave stirring a couple of times). Allow to cool.
- 2In a medium sized bowl, cream margarine with the sugar until the magarine is fluffy and the sugar dissolved. Add egg yolks 1 at a time beating well.
- 3Fold the cooled melted chocolate into the egg yolk mixture.
- 4In a clean medium sized bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold the chocolate-egg mixture into the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- 5Pour wine into a large shallow pan. Dip each matzah 1 at a time into the wine just enough to moisten but not to soak. Place 1 moistened matzah on a serving plate. Cover with approximately 1 1/2 Tbs. of filling. Continue this process until the eighth matzah is on top. Cover top and sides with the remainder of the filling.
- 6Decorate with chopped nuts and chocolate curls or other decorations.
- 7Cover the cake loosely with the plastic wrap and let the cake mellow for 24 hours in the refrigerator. Cut into thin slices or small squares.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No Bake 7 Layer Matzah Cake
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 295.3
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 146.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 30.2 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: