Recipe by Montana Heart Song
Use day old or older bread, white, whole wheat or seven grain,any except rye, break it in small chunks or cut in cubes, place on jelly roll pans. Coat with the seasoning and use on top of tomato based soups, stews or casseroles. Especially good with corn.Yummm!
Top Review by Aaliyah's&Aaron'sMum
These are delicious croutons! I used baguettes since that's what I had to use up, they turned out very nice and crispy. The spices and the herbs were just right, could even eat them plain! Everybody loved it! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe, definitely will be making this again, a keeper for sure! :)
- 1 loaf sliced bread
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cube or pull apart small chunks of sliced bread.
- Place on jelly roll pans. Spread out.
- Preheat oven 300*.
- Put in oven, cook and turn twice for 25 minutes.
- In large glass measuring cup add olive oil and butter.
- Cook in microwave for 2 minutes at 50% power.
- Add the spices and whisk.
- Take out of the oven and pour slowly over bread cubes.
- Turn with a spatula until all are coated.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the cubes.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Cool. Store in bags and freeze or the refrigerator in air tight container.