Recipe by nitko
In Croatia we usually buy our meat in butcher shops. Sometimes, when you purchase a nice large piece of meat there are some parts you don’t know what to do with them, usually the ends. This is what you are going to do with them. You can cut them into small schnitzels or stripes or cubes. This is what I have done:
- 500 g veal
- 50 g pancetta
- 150 g mushrooms (white, cultivated)
- 100 g onions
- 30 g butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (grounded)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200 g veal stock
- 50 g sour cream
- 5 g parsley (fresh, chopped)
- 5 g salt
- 2 g pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- If the meat is already in small cuts, you don’t have to cut it, but if not, cut the meat into small schnitzels, or stripes.
- If you want thick sauce, put the meat into flour (on one side) and fry on hot butter/olive oil mixture. If you don’t want thick sauce, omit flour.
- When brownish, put the meat aside.
- Mince onion and pancetta very finely, than sauté, first onion, and after few minutes pancetta until translucent.
- In the meantime, chop mushrooms into thin leaves. Add mushrooms, cover and sauté until mushrooms starts to drain juices.
- Add meat, cover with veal stock and sauté until juices are reduced to half.
- At the end, after 30 minutes, add sour cream and chopped fresh parsley. Serve hot with rice, pasta, potatoes or whatever you like.