Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
You can store the spiced butter in the fridge in a sealed jar and use as desired. It's delicious over rice or couscous and great as a base for any curry dish.
- 500 g salted butter
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch cardamom seed
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- Melt the butter and heat it until it foams.
- At this point add the other ingredients.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 45 minutes.
- Do not stir.
- This will separate out the milk solids, leaving a clear butter mix on top.
- Cool the mixture, strain through muslin and discard the milk solids.