Nita Holleman's Note:
Wonderful delicious apple dumplings! The Mountain Dew Really WORKS! Amazing! This is a take off on a dish they served at Woolworth's MANY, many years ago! ENJOY! Nita
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 count can butter me not refrigerated biscuits, separated
- 5 winesap apples or 5 rome apples or 5 washington red apples, cored and rinsed with cold water
- 73.94 ml butter, melted
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 7.39 ml apple pie spice or 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 0.59 ml ground nutmeg (optional)
- 340.19 g can Mountain Dew soda
- 9.85 ml pure vanilla extract
- 595.33 g can cherries, for pie
- 1Spray a 9x13-inch dish or pan with Butter Spray, or lightly grease it with butter.
- 2Prepare apples: Core and rinse each apple with cold water.
- 3Dry off with paper towels.
- 4Prepare biscuits: Separate biscuit dough into 10 pieces.
- 5Flatten each piece of dough into a circle.
- 6Wrap one biscuit around each apple HALF.
- 7Join, pressing together to make a seam.
- 8Place, seam side down, in baking pan.
- 9Leave top of pastry open so you can access the apple core.
- 10Make Sauce: Combine and bring to boil the butter, sugar, Mountain Dew, and cinnamon.
- 11Add the Vanilla Extract.
- 12NOTE: Do NOT use Imitation Vanilla Extract.
- 13The results will NOT be the same if you do!
- 14Pour half the sauce mixture over pies and bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes.
- 15Add Cherries: Pour contents of can of cherries in the dish, spreading it around the apples.
- 16Baste dumplings with remaining half of the sauce and continue baking until golden brown.
- 17To serve: Scoop cherries from dish and place some in the bottoms of five individual serving dishes.
- 18Lift apple dumpling and place on top of the cherries.
- 19Serve plain, or top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 20Move over memories of Woolworth!
- 21Here we come!
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nita's Apple Dumplings With Vanilla Sauce on a Bed of Cherries
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.5
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.5 mg
- Sodium 346.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 42.7 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
apple pie spice