Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Wonderful delicious apple dumplings! The Mountain Dew Really WORKS! Amazing! This is a take off on a dish they served at Woolworth's MANY, many years ago! ENJOY! Nita
- 1 (10 count) canbutter me not refrigerated biscuits, separated
- 5 winesap apples or 5 rome apples or 5 washington red apples, cored and rinsed with cold water
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons apple pie spice or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) can Mountain Dew soda
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherries, for pie
- Spray a 9x13-inch dish or pan with Butter Spray, or lightly grease it with butter.
- Prepare apples: Core and rinse each apple with cold water.
- Dry off with paper towels.
- Prepare biscuits: Separate biscuit dough into 10 pieces.
- Flatten each piece of dough into a circle.
- Wrap one biscuit around each apple HALF.
- Join, pressing together to make a seam.
- Place, seam side down, in baking pan.
- Leave top of pastry open so you can access the apple core.
- Make Sauce: Combine and bring to boil the butter, sugar, Mountain Dew, and cinnamon.
- Add the Vanilla Extract.
- NOTE: Do NOT use Imitation Vanilla Extract.
- The results will NOT be the same if you do!
- Pour half the sauce mixture over pies and bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes.
- Add Cherries: Pour contents of can of cherries in the dish, spreading it around the apples.
- Baste dumplings with remaining half of the sauce and continue baking until golden brown.
- To serve: Scoop cherries from dish and place some in the bottoms of five individual serving dishes.
- Lift apple dumpling and place on top of the cherries.
- Serve plain, or top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Move over memories of Woolworth!
- Here we come!