Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very good soup! Tasty, delicious. Will give comfort and bring compliments. Enjoy!
Make and share this Nita's American Onion Soup recipe from Food.com.
- hoagie rolls or any suitable bread, sliced 1 1/2 inches thick
- 4 slices bacon, fried crisp and reserved
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 -5 vidalia onions or 4 -5 sweet onions, peeled,thinly sliced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed,peeled,finely minced
- 5 cans campbell beef broth (Or 4 Knorr Beef Bouillon Cubes dissolved in 7 cups Hot water)
- 1 tablespoon kitchen bouquet browning sauce (do NOT substitute)
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup red wine (American)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 -3 green onions or 2 -3 shallots, peeled,sliced thin
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- swiss gruyere (NOT French) or swiss cheese slice
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, fry 4 strips of bacon until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Reserve bacon fat for another use.
- In same pan, over low heat, melt butter.
- Add onions and saute them over medium-low heat until onion is somewhat translucent and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir frequently until onions caramelize and are golden brown.
- Stir in garlic.
- Remove from heat.
- Do NOT burn.
- In a large pot or Dutch Oven, combine onions, beef broth, Kitchen Bouquet and dark brown sugar.
- Simmer gently for 1 hour, stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, spray or spread bread of choice with a thin coating of butter.
- Toast lightly and place it in a 225 Degrees F.
- warm oven and allow it to dry out.
- Add wine and oregano to soup.
- Cook for another 20 minutes.
- Add shallots and cook another 5 minutes.
- Season with black pepper.
- Remove bread from oven.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 Degrees F.
- Place oven dried bread (or use Croutons) in 4 ovenproof soup bowls.
- Ladle soup on top and sprinkle with crumbled crisp bacon.
- Cover top of bowls with cheese slices.
- Place in preheated oven and bake about 20 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.