Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very good soup! Tasty, delicious. Will give comfort and bring compliments. Enjoy!
Make and share this Nita's American Onion Soup recipe from Food.com.
- hoagie rolls or any suitable bread, sliced 1 1/2 inches thick
- 4 slices bacon, fried crisp and reserved
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 -5 vidalia onions or 4 -5 sweet onions, peeled,thinly sliced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed,peeled,finely minced
- 5 cans campbell beef broth (Or 4 Knorr Beef Bouillon Cubes dissolved in 7 cups Hot water)
- 1 tablespoon kitchen bouquet browning sauce (do NOT substitute)
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup red wine (American)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 -3 green onions or 2 -3 shallots, peeled,sliced thin
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- swiss gruyere (NOT French) or swiss cheese slice
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, fry 4 strips of bacon until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Reserve bacon fat for another use.
- In same pan, over low heat, melt butter.
- Add onions and saute them over medium-low heat until onion is somewhat translucent and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir frequently until onions caramelize and are golden brown.
- Stir in garlic.
- Remove from heat.
- Do NOT burn.
- In a large pot or Dutch Oven, combine onions, beef broth, Kitchen Bouquet and dark brown sugar.
- Simmer gently for 1 hour, stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, spray or spread bread of choice with a thin coating of butter.
- Toast lightly and place it in a 225 Degrees F.
- warm oven and allow it to dry out.
- Add wine and oregano to soup.
- Cook for another 20 minutes.
- Add shallots and cook another 5 minutes.
- Season with black pepper.
- Remove bread from oven.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 Degrees F.
- Place oven dried bread (or use Croutons) in 4 ovenproof soup bowls.
- Ladle soup on top and sprinkle with crumbled crisp bacon.
- Cover top of bowls with cheese slices.
- Place in preheated oven and bake about 20 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.